How to replace spindles on banister
If all that needs replacing on your banister are a few spindles, this easy-to-follow guide should be able to help you out. Read on for the step-by-step instructions you need to replace the spindles in your banister.
Level of difficulty
Level 2: Intermediate
What you need
- Dust sheet
- Tape measure
The steps to follow
- Find out the number of spindles you need to replace. There needs to be two spindles per tread. If however the tread is adjacent to the newel post, there only needs to be one spindle. The spindles should be 100 mm (4 in) apart from each other.
- Cover your work area with dust sheet.
- Find the vertical dimension (the distance between the handrail and the base rail) and mark this dimension onto the banister. Use a sliding bevel while marking on the banister to acquire an exact angle.
- Saw the spindle to size and fit it on the banister. Cut the remaining spindles to fit onto the banister. Sand the spindles for a smooth finish.
- Fit and glue the spindles onto the banister. Fill any gaps with pre-cut spacer fillets.
- Apply a coat of primer after the adhesive has dried.
- You can then proceed with painting the spindle and banister with the colour of your choice or just with a clear finish.