How to wire a pendent light
Hide those ugly, bare light bulbs or go for a new look with a pendant light shade. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes which should inspire you! Here's how you fit one.
Level of difficulty
Level 2 - Intermediate
What you need
- Pendant light
- Wire stripper
The steps to follow
- Turn off the main power supply (or mains power).
- Unscrew and detach the light fixture compartment from the ceiling.
- Untangle the wires.
- Determine which wire is the live wire and neutral wire on the pendant. Live wires tend to have a yellow insulation, and neutral wires are brown/black or have lettering on them.
- Use a wire stripper to strip away 20 mm (4/5 in) of insulation on the live and neutral wire.
- Connect the newly stripped pendant wires to the original terminals. The live wire will have to connect to the yellow wire and the neutral wire to the brown/black wire.
- Put the wires back into the wiring compartment.
- Screw the light fixtures compartment.
- Attach the pendant light onto the ceiling.