How to remove tiles from a solid wall
Get rid of those old tiles for a new look.
Level of difficulty
Level 2: Intermediate
What you need
- Brick bolster
The steps to follow
- Break a central tile on your wall with a chisel and hammer at a 45 degree angle. Knock the tile loose then lever it with the chisel.
- Chop off the next tile by driving the blade of a brick bolster under the edge of the next tile.
- Continue this step until the whole wall is stripped down.
- Hack off the old tile adhesive.
- Make an even surface by filling any holes with putty and sanding off any lumps of tile adhesive.
- If the surface is still uneven, you should re-plaster the wall or find a recommended plasterer to help you.
- If you'd prefer not to remove the old tiles, you can simply tile over them.