AdviceAsk an expertPainting and decorating

Ask an expert: questions for electricians, carpenters and decorators

Need something done around the home but in need of some professional advice? Our Ask an expert section is an area of our site where you can put your questions to registered tradespeople. There are 27 different categories to post your question, spanning everything from plumbers and roofers to heating engineers. If you’re not sure which one to pick, simply choose the General DIY category.


This week, we saw questions around pricing, the type of tradesperson needed to do a job and how to carry out decorating work to get the best result. We’ve done a quick roundup of questions and answers below but don’t forget to head to our Ask an expert section if you’d like to see more.

How much does it cost?

Larissa asked carpenters how much they charge for fixing a problem with a fitted kitchen. Allan of A.C Doyle Joinery services responded that he quotes £120 for a day’s work – which is around 8 hours. Scott of Scotts handy services charges more than Allan but explained that there’s no such thing as a fixed rate. Location and availability can affect the amount a carpenter would charge. He also told her that he estimates how long the work will take before he’s hired so that anyone hiring him has a more accurate price.

carpenter-rate per hour

For another homeowner, it was to find out the cost of an electrical certificate that drew them to Ask an expert. Adrian of Hartwell Electrical Services got in touch to say it would cost £180 for a full certificate and building control notification.


Which trade do I need?

It can be tricky knowing what type of tradesperson you need to help with your job. Jack wanted to know which tradesperson would replace a wooden front door and add locks – a joiner (thanks A.C Doyle Joinery services and ROTHERHAM AND DONCASTER LOCKSMITH) and we also saw a homeowner asking the same question for removing a fire surround and installing a new one. TS from D.E.S. explained that they’d need a Gas Safe registered heating engineer.


Decorating advice

On the more practical side, David was keen to do a bit of decorating and wanted to make sure he was doing all the right things. He asked our registered decorators for advice on drying time and preparation work before hanging wallpaper.


Liam of Fusion Services not only told him whether he needed to do some work between applying the lining paper and hanging the wallpaper but explained why, going into detail about why lining paper is needed.

To view more questions and answers or ask registered tradespeople your own question, head to our Ask section. If you missed last week’s write up, see what plumbing and electrical questions were put to our experts.

Related Articles

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button