Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

Creation of basement below lower ground floor in London

Posted by Edward Mays, on
Hello, I own the lower ground floor flat of a large Victorian terraced property in West London (share of freehold). Is it possible to create a basement below my flat for additional living space? Many thanks in advance
Peter Barber

Peter Barber

Hi Edward. For a new basement you are most likely to require both planing permission and building control. It may be prudent to look at local planing applications to see if permission has been given to similar projects in your area. Usually if there is a precedence then you should be given permission. The best way forward would be to post the job on rated people and secure a specialist basement conversion company who would be able to deal with planing permission and building regulations on your behalf and also assist with the design. All reputable companies dealing with basement conversions should have on hand all specialists to ensure continuity of the project so would be best to let one company deal with all. I hope that this helps. Best Wishes Peter Barber CSSW.,CRDS London Waterproofing Solutions
Viorel Tudor

Viorel Tudor

Hello Edward, You will firstly need an architect on site, - he will advice you whether is possible to have a basement conversion on to you premises, - he will advice you if a planing permission or Building Notice is required, - he will also advice you how big your new basement will be, taking in consideration Building Regulation Rules, - he will put together some drawings plans for you. Then once you have all this details, you can post a job on RatedPeople and you will get three different quotation prices, which makes it easy for you to chose the right contractor for your basement work project. More details here: Good luck! Thanks

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.