Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

Who can advise on my damp problem

Posted by Joanie Knott, on
I have a damp problem in my bungalow with black mould on some doors and bottom of walls. What type of trade do I need to advise me on this?
John Wale

John Wale

It could be mould. Mould grows in atmospheres where there is a moisture content, with little ventilation. It likes areas behind cupboards and also lower walls. This is remedied with watered down bleach to kill (it's a living organism), then stain blocked, followed by decoration. It will return if ventilation is inadequate. Opening windows ajar helps. No wet clothes on radiators etc... It is also a health hazard and must be gotten rid of. A decorator worth his salt will deal with this. I hope this helps. John

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.