Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

I hired a electrican through Rated People, to put in new consumer un

Posted by Robert Anderson, on
I hired a electrican through Rated People, to put in new consumer unit, this person was here all day, left live wires all over the place, what can I do?
Richard Newbery

Richard Newbery

the contractor you employed for this work should be registered under a part P competent persons scheme as this work is notifiable to your local building control office he should issue an installation certificate to prove the installation was installed inspected and tested as per BS 7671 ,although if live cables were left exposed this could not be the case if he was registered then take it up with his governing body ie NICEIC ,Elecsa or Napit if not then trading standards is a good bet
Carl Firmstone

Carl Firmstone

Assuming you didn't pay for any work, you may wish to call a different tradesman to put things right. You could also contact trading standards regarding this issue and hope that they pursue the case.

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople‚Äôs profiles