Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

Action against a tradesman

Posted by meghna Daswani, on
I got an electrician from rated people. It was for a rented out flat in Halifax. I am based in London. The electrician told me some work needed to be carried out and charged me for it. A week later I found out that the work not been done and he was refusing to answer my calls or text messages and e-mails. I have paid him for this full stop is there any action I can take
Tom Quirk

Tom Quirk

Hi If the electrician is with NICEIC or another registered body, then you can contact them directly with his company name and registration number and they will help you resolve it, even if that means another electrician going out with no charge to you, if found in your favour, all NICEIC Electricians are insurance backed in this way
Dalton Thompson

Dalton Thompson

Hi Meghna, I'm so sorry to hear you're having issues with the tradesperson you hired. Please follow the advice regarding dispute resolution here: You can get in touch with us directly by going to once you've completed those steps, and we'll be in touch to help. Thanks, Alex Ask an Expert team

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople’s profiles