Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople


Posted by Frances Gray Tomordy, on
What is re pointing ? Is it the work of a builder? Is re rendering the same?
Nathan Pepper

Nathan Pepper

Good morning Frances, Justin is quite right in his explanation of the differences between the two trades. Pointing is a highly skilled process, if work is carried out incorrectly it can not only spoil the look of your property, but it can fail and require redoing after only a few years. You will be better off commissioning a specialist repointing firm to carry out the work.
justin smith

justin smith

Hi Re-pointing is usually done on stonework or brickwork which is taking out the old cement/lime joints and pointing new cement/lime back in. Re-rendering is totally covering over all surfaces with cement or harling. Both jobs are done by different tradesman. You'd be looking at a stonemason/builder for re-pointing and a plasterer for re-rendering. Hope this helps you.

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople’s profiles