I have been getting shocks from kitchen sink, bathroom shower, x box and toaster. Checked earthing by stop tap and all working and connected fine, no rust, algi etc.
Possibly need to test the whole house earth testing, continuity of the circuits, checking resitance insulation etc. is this right thing to be checking?
I would recommend in this situation that a Electrical installation condition report is carried out. This could be something and nothing but at the same time could develop into something more serious.
This sounds like your property has zero earthing - not unheard of but totally unacceptable!
Do have a qualified electrician perform EICR, Electrical Installation Condition Report. This will involve checking every part of the system / circuit and identify the problem.
hi Sarah.you need to call an approved electrician and this needs to check:
- Ze -main earthing(THEY NEED TO DISCONNECT ANY PARALLEL PATHS)
- main bonding to gas and water-CONTINUITY-LONG LEADS METHOD
and you need
- if is an old installation supplementary bonding is very important-16 edition
-rcd for the sockets used to supply mobile equipment not exceeding 32A rating for use outdoor- 16 edition
-locations countaining a bath or shower aditional protection for all low voltage circuits by rcd not exceeding 30 mA-17 edition
-all socket-outletsnot exceeding 20A needs rcd-17 edition
-for cables concealed in walls or partitions needs rcd 17 edition
WE ALSO RECOMMAND TO TEST THE INSTALLATION AND DO A REPORT BY AN APPROVED CONTRACTOR ONLY
Looks like have a earth fault,which is why you can feel a shock all around the house,the possibility also exist that there is a build up of static electricity, This needs checking and rectifying as a matter of urgency by a qualified electrician who can test and inspect the property,I'm assuming that your fuse box does not have an RCD Residual current device as this would have picked up any potential earth fault and therefore disconnect the circuit
I would strongly suggest you get a qualified electrician to come and do a full electrical condition report if what you say is correct. They will then be able to tell you why this is happening and be able to rectify the fault.
Post the job on Rated People if you do not know someone and three electricians should contact you. Just make sure they are qualified and registered with one of the approved bodies i.e NICEIC etc.
Hope this helps.
I agree with most of the other responses and have an Electrician test your circuits in order to find a cause. In the mean time however it could be something even simpler; Static Electricity caused by friction between your floor (Carpet) and your foot ware. Is it just you that is getting these shocks, or everyone else in the household? It could be that you are just charging yourself with a bit of static electricity and every time you come in contact with metal that is earthed, you are discharging yourself. Do you also sometimes get it between people? Shaking hands etc whilst in your house. It is a bit of trial and error finding what is possibly causing this. It could be the Carpet, Lino, Foot ware.
Call out a qualified electrician urgently.The fuse board needs replaceing once the fault has been found,As it seems that you dont have dual mcb rcd protection.Do not use any appliances untill you do especially where your in contact with water
I agree with the previous comments. We once had a job where we were called out as the lady was getting shocks off her sink when she rubbed down her wall. When we checked for a possible voltage between her wall and the sink she was getting over 120v between her wall and her metal sink. It turned out to be a result of her husband had done work on the roof above that leaked, then he had also jointed some electrical wiring with a juction box and sunk it into the wall above her sink, that she was getting a shock off. A case of a D.I.Y. disaster.
An experienced electrician should be able to diagnose and identify the cause of the problem quite quickly,
Earthing needs to be checked. Should take a few minutes. You might need to contact your DNO as your earth look might be weak. You might even have a neutrale to earth fault. It really sounds like a weak earth to supplier (ze). Also, water might be earthed, but if there are plastic connection, then certified parts won't be earthed.
Hope this helps
hi sarah sounds like you might have no earth at the fuseboard could be broken somewhere if your water and gas are bonded this could be your only means of earth my advise is to get it looked at asap . shaune delta electrical
Frankly you need a qualified electrician who has test and inspect capabilities and most do not. Most 'sparks' can inspect their own installation work and that's it. It sounds like you have Live/Earth fault which is why you can feel a shock all around the house. This needs checking and rectifying as a matter of urgency. I'm assuming that your fuse box does not have an RCD Residual Current Device because that would have picked the fault up and disconnected the live supply. It could be something simple to find and fix or of course it might not. Again do not ignore this it might become a much more serious fault which could be fatal..