Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

Wood treatment

Posted by Roger Wilde, on
I recently bought a pair of pinewood corbels for a new mantelpiece. The suppliers recommended some treatment to the wood to prevent splitting, but unforunately I have mislaid both the advice leaflet and the suppliers contact details. Can anyone suggest what product I should use? Thanks, Roger Wilde.
Alan Bridge

Alan Bridge

Hi Roger any internel clear varnish or stain if you require a different finish aii available from Home base or B&Q stores Regards Alan Bridge Carpentry Joinery & General Builder
Ian Summerscales

Ian Summerscales

Hello Roger,timber is as you know a natural product and it is likely to split as it dries out, to prevent this it is best to seal it first before fitting, either with an oil finish or paint. Ideally the mantelpiece isnt over an open fire or the timber is likely to split but if you finish with paint you can at least get away with filler and finishing over.

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople‚Äôs profiles