Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

What qualification does an electrician need

Posted by deirdra williams, on
Having some work done at my home and can you tell me what the credentials for the qualified electrician are please?
Carl Firmstone

Carl Firmstone

Hi Dierdra, In most cases, an electrician would need to be registered to carry out any work in your home. The registration is to a body such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA... the registration is a "domestic installer", also often referred to as a "part P" registration. Any work would need to be certified on completion and you should receive paperwork to prove this. *NOTE* The electrician could also complete the work and ask the local authority building control to check and certify their work if they do not hold the necessary registration. Paperwork would still be issued on completion. Regards Carl Firmstone Stator Electrical Solutions Ltd

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople’s profiles