Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

Do you check trades qualifications eg electrician

Posted by Colin White, on
I want to employ an electrician but want to know he is suitably qualified to carry out the work. I need a fuse board upgraded to RDC so I need some assurance that the work will be carried out to meet regulations and that any notifications to council will be done correctly. Does Rated People actually rate the trades before allowing them on the site?
Tom Quirk

Tom Quirk

Hi colin Brett has covered everything, always ask for NICEIC or other approved bodies registration number. As a company we are always happy to provide this to our customers, with NICEIC membership, once we do our paperwork online all notifications are automatic, plus we are insurance backed by NICEIC which gives you further protection
Bret Gillies

Bret Gillies

Hi Colin, You are well within your rights to ask for a tradesmans qualifications and you should. As an electrician I can only speak with confidence of my own trade but I have my qualifications to hand and I am always prepared to produce them. You should also ask for proof of there public liability insurance and employers liability insurance if they have employees and they should be a member of an approved body such as NICEIC and will have a member number that you can search for online. For the type of work that you are asking about your Electrician will have to carry out a bit of testing and inspecting and produce you with certification for the work. Kind regards

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople’s profiles