Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

How could I stop draughts coming from my kitchen in my living room?

Posted by Rashid Butt, on
I get all the draughts containing smoke from my kitchen in my living room. I wonder whether it is possible to reverse the movement of these draughts.
Mike  Simpson

Mike Simpson

Hello Rashid, A good extractor above your hob will help, if it can be ducted through an outside wall. Make sure you observe the clearances stated in the extractor's installation guide (usually 75cm above a gas hob) If that is not possible you can have an expelair fitted in an outside wall or in a window to clear the steam, smoke and cooking smells. Kind Regards Mike
Rafal Kaczynski

Rafal Kaczynski

Hi Rashid Extractor hood and fan will sort your problem out. Get someone who is competent in ventilation not a handyman Regards Rafal
Michal Banas

Michal Banas

£30 will be enough to get proper extraction fan. On the external wall you can fit cover that will open when air pushed out from inside and close to prevent any air flow from outside (another £3 to £5 for that). Of course account for electrician to fit it and the either you or decorator to bring the wall back to it's previous condition.

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople’s profiles