Ask an expert

Get free help from our community of tradespeople

Do I need planning permission and building regs for a conservatory

Posted by vicki revell, on
I am having a conservatory built at the rear of my property 4m x 3 metres. Do I need to apply for planning permission and have buildign regs for this?
Michael Tucker

Michael Tucker

Hello Vicki, I would strongly suggest you do. When you come to sell you have to show you went down the right channels. Regards Michael
Steven Costigan

Steven Costigan

if you check with your local planning portal on line to be certain however the standard at the minute is 3 meter projection from house for terrace or semi detached and 4 meter projection from house for detached, the width is not relivent
Graham Trotter

Graham Trotter

As long as the structure is more than 50%glass you should be exempt from planning permission and building regs as this is classified as a conservatory not a extension.It might be advisable to check with your local council,but this is normally the way they do it. graham
Dean Gardner

Dean Gardner

Hi there It is best that you check with the planning department of your local council as planning rules can vary between different areas. You may also be able to find out what regulations you have to adhere to on your local councils website. Hope this helps Dean

What would you like to do now?

Find more questions Create my Job

Homeowner stories

Homeowner stories - Nick

Nick shares his story of finding local tradespeople in his new area.


Get our app for homeowners

  • Send messages and get notifications from tradespeople
  • Add photos to get more accurate quotes
  • View tradespeople’s profiles